So, be honest. How is that Spring Cleaning going?
Sometimes we dread tasks like cleaning and organizing because they are made out to be the bad guys. Let’s flip that theory on its head. I love to get organized mainly because it feels so darn good! Reducing clutter isn’t just good for your home, it’s good for your spirit! After all, that is what Feng Shui is all about: cleaning up clutter and helping you live a minimalistic life. Let’s explore five ways that help you lighten that load!
- How about that dreaded closet? I live by the rule that all clothes that have not been worn in two years should be donated. Of course I make exceptions for wool coats or items that are not needed on a daily basis, but this rule helps remind you of what is in your closet and what no longer works. Helping others is a feel-good activity and with those un-worn clothes gone you will feel like you can breathe again!
- You know medicine, sunscreen, and non-perishable food actually do have use by dates? Find those dates and use them!
- Instate a 24 hour rule for big purchases that are usually impulse buys. Do you really need another black purse? This helps you examine your decision and prevent clutter in your home.
- Remove toxic inducing, unfriendly furniture, and go eco instead! Did you know that formaldehyde is a toxin found in most furniture and can cause allergies and extensive health issues? Use formaldehyde-free furniture and bring plants into your home to help cleanse your air!
- Live with items that you love! Don’t feel obligated to keep something just because it was a gift. Surround yourself with things that inspire you and reflect who you are as a person.
Just remember that your home is a big part of your life and the way that you care for it influences your happiness. So don’t dread Spring Cleaning, think of the positive ways you are helping yourself and your family towards a productive, inspiring year!
Want more tips? Read our practical tips towards Spring Cleaning HERE!